If you have pets, it is important to know what dangerous plants for pets exist.Many people like to have plants at home, especially because they provide a great decoration and also have different properties such as producing oxygen or eliminating harmful agents that the air can have, for example.
In the same way as the newborn, our pets are surrounded by threats that threaten their physical integrity, from cleaning products to insecticides, pesticides, fertilizers, rodenticides or drugs. Normally, we already try to keep all these products out of reach but we tend to overlook another not-so-obvious danger:the plants.
Dangerous plants for pets
The toxic origin can be found in leaves, stems, flowers or fruits, and it can be always present or only be found at certain times of the year. Our pet may accidentally ingest any of these components and nothing happens to him or he may require an urgent visit to the vet.
If you have lilacs at home, they can be very dangerous for cats. Also, depending on the species of this flower, it can be a problem even for dogs. Daylilies, autumn daffodils, and Moses' cradle are the most dangerous varieties.
Diefembaquia is very common in homes due to the resistance it has. If a man eats his vomit, he can suffer a lot of vomiting, stomach inflammation and even blockage of the airways. It is also very toxic to cats.
Aloe vera is also very toxic to cats and dogs due to saponins, a substance that causes muscle spasms, vomiting, diarrhea and weight loss, among others. Despite this, it is ideal to soothe some skin irritations that they may have, but it is advisable to consult it before with the veterinarian.
Danger with the Sago palm tree
This species whose scientific name is Cyca revoluta, can be found in many gardens and is quite dangerous for dogs. It has a substance called cicasin, which causes the dog to suffer from diarrhea, vomiting, dizziness, blood in the stool, serious liver damage and can even lead to death. Just eating one seed can be fatal.
We finish with the azalea, a species that is very toxic for both dogs and cats. In the most serious cases of ingestion, the animal can become coma or even death. It is important that the animal is taken to the vet urgently.
What can make our pets eat plants?
Although we have well taught our pet not to eat the plants that surround it, there are other factors that could favor ingestion:
- High summer temperatures and possible lack of water. These are reasons enough to induce the animal to eat any plant with tender stems. We must be alert to never leave it without water.
- Boredom. When a dog, especially as a puppy, spends long hours alone and bored, to distract himself he may start to chew on everything around him, including plants.
- The change of home. Being in a new place can draw the animal's attention to objects, such as plants, that had previously gone unnoticed.
- Lack of space. Lack of space in the house increases aggressiveness and can create a state of nervousness in our dog, which intensifies the need to break and chew whatever is within reach, such as plants.
Symptoms in a dog from playing or eating a toxic plant
Depending on the plant, our dog or puppy and whether he has only played with it or eaten it…. symptoms can be mild or very severe. Some of these symptoms can be confused with those of other diseases, so it is important to know if our dog has previously been playing with a poisonous plant.
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog and you know or suspect that it may have been with one of the plants that we are going to discuss, you should go to a veterinarian to urgently give the appropriate treatment.
- Dilated pupils and / or excessive drooling
- Skin rashes / Skin irritation
- Tremors, dizziness, lack of coordination
- Vomiting and / or diarrhea
- Strange behavior or appreciation of other unusual symptoms
The symptoms mentioned are the initial ones, if they are not treated correctly with the right medication our dog can even die. Since each plant has a different toxicity, if we can identify the poisonous plant it has been playing with it would be great for our vet to know how to act.
With information from: